Home décor is good to dream, but hard to implement. While designing the interior, most of the people often look for fashionable materials and pieces; however, it is necessary to get the best quality products that blends with the room as well. Bathroom or shower area is one such place that needs extra attention. There is always splashing and spilling of water in bathroom. Therefore, one cannot just have a dry bathroom all the time. As a result, bathroom walls need some extra coat of protection that other rooms probably don’t need. Limiting the splashing of water, as much as you can, on to the walls will go a long way in ensuring the durability and strength of the wall. Bathroom waterproof membrane for shower is a wall protector for your stylish bathroom that can prevent this spillage on to the walls.
What Is Waterproof Membrane?
This is a type of protector that is used widely in showers to protect the walls from frequent water splashing. When you are under shower, it is obvious that water will splash on to the walls. Consequently, it can damage the walls around the shower. This waterproof membrane protects the walls from getting wet.
Waterproof Membrane for Shower Kit:
This membrane comes in a kit. The kit contains waterproof under-tile membrane, adhesive, tapes and brush. Wherever you wish, you can apply this under-tile membrane with the help of brush and let it dry for minimum 2 hours and maximum 48 hours. Once it gets dried, apply second coat to make it stronger. Let it dry and then you can easily place the tiles over it.
Most of the membranes comes with adhesives. The adhesive is mixed with the membrane beforehand. The tapes are used to cover the edge and the joints of the walls. Though the membrane is applied on and under the tapes, it protects the layers of membrane applied on the corner of the walls and floors.
Benefits of Waterproof Membrane:
- The main reason for applying waterproof membrane for a shower is to stop dampening the walls around the shower. The shower area in the bathroom is mostly covered with fashionable tiles. Applying under-tile waterproof membrane will prevent water from seeping into the mortar by continuous water splash.
- These membranes dry up easily. They don’t let the water to reach the deeper parts of the walls and hence retain the strength and stability of the wall.
- It is easy to apply. You can contact waterproofing professionals, they handle it better. You can follow the instructions on the kit and apply the waterproof membrane in the shower area.
- Mainly one kit is apt for a small shower area.
- Bathroom waterproof membrane for shower is not much expensive. On the contrary, it guards your expensive tiles around your shower.
- It is not mandatory to apply this membrane in the entire bathroom. Many people apply this only across the shower area or sometimes a small area around the shower.
Steps to Apply Waterproof Membrane:
- Do your homework decide where to apply the membrane.
- Mark the area around the shower you want to waterproof.
- Clean the area of waterproofing properly. Remove all dirt or dust around the area where you plan to apply the membrane.
- Stick the tapes on the corner edges of the walls and floor.
- Apply the membrane above and under the tapes. Also apply it on the walls and floors. Let it dry for a couple of hours.
- Apply a second coat of the membrane. It is recommended that application of the second coat must be done 90 degrees opposite to the direction of first coat.
- Let it dry for another few hours, more longer the better.
- Clean the applied waterproof membrane for shower with water and your waterproofed washroom is ready.