Our shoulder is one of the most used joints in our body. Whether you are writing, playing or raising your hand to lift something, the shoulder is always at work. Well, this mobility comes at a cost; pain in shoulder tendon pain is common, and if you undermine its health for long, it may result in some severe problems in the joint. Hence, it is always advisable to follow a healthy lifestyle and exercise to keep the shoulder moving painlessly.
What are the common causes of shoulder tendon pain?
There can be various contributing factors for pain in the shoulder area. Overuse of shoulders, arthritis, impingement, etc. can trigger the pain. Other causes include:
- Rotator cuff tendonitis – These are a group of muscles which support the shoulder and are also helpful in shoulder movement. Inflammation of these muscles may result in pain.
- Frozen shoulder – This usually results in a painful shoulder. In this, the shoulder gradually loses its mobility which can result in rheumatic disease.
- Biceps tendonitis – This condition may arise because of the bony anatomy of the shoulder. In this, the patient usually suffers from pain in the front muscles which join the upper arm with the shoulder.
- Bursitis – Inflammation of bursae is a common problem. These are the fluid-filled sacs which provide a cushion to the tendons, bone and muscles.
Exercises that can help in getting rid of shoulder tendon pain
Pain in joints is a common issue. Many of us tend to ignore them or opt for medication. Medicines may give you temporary relief, but if you wish to eradicate the pain permanently, following an exercise regime is essential. There are various workouts for getting rid of the shoulder tendon pain. Having these four exercises as a part of your regime will help you have a healthy life and shoulders free from pain.
- Neck release – It’s a simple exercise which you can follow while sitting at your desk or workstation. Keep your head straight and then lean it towards the right, stretch it till you feel the muscles stress. For maximum effectiveness, you must breathe deeply.
- The pendulum moves – This is another exercise that will help in overcoming pain. You need to stand near support and bend yourself. Place one arm on the support and the second arm should hang freely. Rotate the free hand in small circles and gradually increase the diameter of the circle. Do this, 5-10 times a day.
- Reverse Fly – This exercise will help you ease the shoulder tendon pain. To do this exercise, you need to stand with feet apart, and slightly bend your knees. Hold some lightweight in your hands and start stretching it backwards. Remember, you must not extend your arm above your shoulder height. Repeat three sets of 10 each for a better result.
- Stretching of muscle – It’s a great way to get relief from the pain in the shoulder. All you need to do is stand in front of the door. Keep both sides of the door open. Hold them with your hand and start moving back and forth without overstretching your muscles.
When do you need to see a doctor?
Well, these exercises will help you overcome the pain, but in case you don’t find any improvement, it is time to see the doctor. If you notice the following signs, don’t wait and seek doctor’s advice:
- Unable to lift the arm or lift objects
- Pain even while you are resting
- Pain accompanied by fever and redness
- Shoulder pain continues for long
Remember, exercising is the preliminary step, and following it continuously will help you get relief, but there can be times when the shoulder tendon pain becomes unbearable. In this situation, you must consult a doctor. Also, don’t overdo any of these exercises. For better results, make it a part of your daily routine.