Myopia is basically the progression towards nearsightedness mostly found in children. It has specific treatments to control the problem. This is mainly prescribed by the eye specialists and they explain to you how to control the problem. There are about four categories by which you can control myopia, and these are the atropine eye drops, or multifocal eyeglasses and multifocal contact lenses.
Why Is Control Important?
- The myopia control is in fact very important as it reduces the risk of complications and damages the vision. If not taken care, then it may lead to high myopia later in life. This includes problems like cataracts, glaucoma as well as retinal detachment. It may even lead to blindness if things go worse.
- The control is very important for the child as it may affect his or her academic performance. Since the kids are visual learners, they understand the concepts better by visualizing things.
- If you notice that your child is having a problem with seeing distant objects, then you should bring them to your optometrist. They will conduct a comprehensive examination of the eye so that they can determine the underlying cause. It will then easy for them to start with effective treatment.
How To Control Myopia?
The doctors try their level best to slow the progression of myopia. The treatments induce changes in the structure. It will also change the focusing ability of the eye and also reduce stress and fatigue. This may associate with the development and the progression of nearsightedness. The best way for myopia control is to detect nearsightedness quite early. The child may not complain about the problems related to vision, but it is important to schedule the routine eye checkup for your children. The eye exams in early childhood are important more if you or your spouse also have the same problem. Heredity is one of the biggest factors in myopia.
Different Options To Control Myopia
Myopia is a refractive error that causes problems with vision of distant range, but the close range remains intact. There are eye centers where you will find various methods for myopia control. Hence there are treatment options that you can follow.
- It can be controlled through corrective eye wear like either contact lenses or eyeglasses. You can, of course, choose different materials, designs, and styles.
- The other way for myopia control is orthokeratology. This is good for any age. This is the type of lenses that are used when you go to sleep. They are basically designed to reshape the cornea overnight. They do this by making corrections in the surface or the structural infirmities. You can remove them when you get up in the morning and then immediately experience better vision. In fact, you can enjoy this vision for the entire day without even wearing corrective eye wear. You will feel very normal and can do all the routine activities.
Myopia has become a common disorder that is now affecting a huge population, especially in East Asian countries. This is basically associated with increased risk of sight threatening issues. If treated properly and at the right age, then it will slow down the progression. The few strategies that are used for controlling myopia have been proved to be effective. It is very important that both parents and eye practitioners’ work together in order to determine the problem and then solve it. The treatment is different or each child so the practitioner will decide which modality suits best to your child. There are varied pharmaceutical agents like the eye drops that are quite effective to control the problem of myopia in children.