When it comes to buying a reconditioned transmission, there are a number of options to choose from such as used ones, rebuilt ones and remanufactured ones. Transmissions are one of the most expensive items when it comes to vehicle repairs, therefore, opting for refurbished transmissions might be the best option for you. The best way to ensure the longevity of reconditioned transmissions is proper care and maintenance. However, let us discuss the types of new and reconditioned transmissions that are available in the market and you can choose one that suits your needs.
New Transmission: Most of the dealers do not provide new transmissions. Even if you visit a dealer to buy one, they mostly provide a remanufactured transmission. Also, a new transmission would cost more money than a used or remanufactured one. Let us know how reconditioned transmissions are designed again.
- Rebuilt Transmission: When a non-working transmission is unassembled, all its damaged or non-working parts are replaced with the new parts and the transmission is built back to the working specifications, along with the new seals, gaskets, gears, and bands. Basically, it is termed to be a rebuilt transmission. This process can be carried out by any of the professionals in a workshop where you can get your transmission rebuilt.
- Remanufactured Transmission: The only difference between a rebuilt and a remanufactured transmission is that the process for remanufacturing a transmission is carried out in a factory, by the specified brand only which manufactured or sold the transmission. Usually, a specific set of experts of different elements of the transmission inspect the transmission, change the required parts and get it to working condition, as good as a new one.
- Repaired Transmission: In this process, the transmission is unsealed and only the affected element is replaced or repaired. However, it increases the chances of failure of any other component of the transmission. The transmission must be repaired only if any of the components of this unit are broken or failed. . Also, this is the most cost-effective way of getting your transmission fixed.
- Used Transmission: This process might have very fewer chances of being applied to your vehicle. Many vehicles these days become non-usable due to accidental issues but their components still remain in good shape and can perform adequately. However, getting a used transmission will always depend on the type of vehicle available. However, used transmissions usually come with a shorter period of warranty than a rebuilt or remanufactured transmissions, so it is going to be your call.
Tips to Ensure the Longevity of Reconditioned Transmissions:
- Regular check-up of the transmission fluid: You must check the transmission fluid levels on a regular basis. An average check must be performed on the completion of at most 6000miles or after every 6 months, whichever falls first. Check the mandate levels and for any kind of leakages.
- Change the fluid and filter as and when recommended or whenever it appears dirty.
- Use only the prescribed fluid. Using an incorrect type may cause damage to the transmission as well as the vehicle.
There are several advantages of using a reconditioned transmission. The first and foremost advantage is the cost-effectiveness of the refurbished transmission. Secondly, it saves all the other components of the transmission which have been working properly and efficiently from being replaced, except the ones which have been worn out or damaged. Moreover, getting a transmission conditioned might also save you a lot of time as opposed to ordering a new one.